Thursday, December 23, 2010

My best photographs of 2010?

Using Flickr's Interestingness as a guide but not a judge and jury, I have compiled my top ten pictures from 2010. I have stuck to what Flickr has classed as amongst my most interesting but have excluded images which I dislike or I think are pointless. I have also tried to choose a variety of shots so if there were two similar scenes I have chosen the one I prefer.

10. Anybody in South Africa in the immediate period leading up to the World Cup would have witnessed a sea of SA flags flying from vehicles.
South Africa

9. During a trip to the Drakensburg in August I took advantage of the low light pollution and clear cool skies to capture these star trails. A thirty minute exposure.
Chunk Of Universe

8. Getting up at an unholy hour of a Saturday morning to capture a sunrise that doesn't happen can be a tad disappointing. It does though encourage one to look for other things to capture, such as this Pigeon fly past.
City Birds

7. The added police presence for the World Cup was very welcome. Not only did one feel more secure about carrying a camera around town, it also offered some photographic opportunities.
The Joy Of Giving

6. An early morning beach front shoot. The pier outside uShaka with the new restaurant under construction. Holding my D300 precariously close to the Indian Ocean.
Rushing Sea

5. Street vendor pushing his cart down Smith Street towards the beach front in the early morning.
Cruising Down Smith Street

4. Diesel walking towards me. Very difficult type of photograph to take. Firstly one has to lie on ones stomach to get the right angle and secondly, camera auto focus systems don't seem to like Black Cats especially when they are moving towards the camera
Diesel On The Prowl

3. World Cup Fan Fest on Durban Beachfront. This pic wasn't necessarily a favourite of mine but it was selected for a Flickr Blog article on the World Cup so I guess it deserves a mention here.
Having A Whale Of A Time

2. Candid street portrait taken on the Durban Beachfront during the FIFA World Cup 2010
Durban Beachfront - 21 June 2010

1. Moses Mabhida stadium at night taken from the top of the Old Mutual building in central Durban
Moses Mabhida By Night

No comments: