Thursday, October 07, 2010

Durban Candid Street Portraits (Updated)

(Updated 17 November 2011)

Over the past year or so I have been trying more and more street photography and portraiture. The big thing with shooting strangers is getting the courage up to point the camera at them. I started by 'shooting from the hip' but gradually I got braver and started shooting straight at my subject. Some people will show they are not willing subjects and you have to recognise that and back off. Some people just ignore or don't notice you, others are curious why you are choosing them to take a picture of and finally there are those who will spontaneously pose for you once they spot a camera and lens.

I still shoot some street shots while holding the camera away from my face but now the majority I compose through the viewfinder. The latter method was used for this selection of candid portraits.

All Together Now

Finger Lickin' Good

Durban Beachfront - 21 June 2010

Woman

Durban Beachfront - 21 June 2010

Arresting

Faces

The Joy Of Giving

Talk Talk

Beach Hobo

No comments: